Sunday, November 10, 2013

Silkscreen Class Project - Missing & Murdered Aboriginal Women Part 3

Recently I've been having trouble deciding how the pieces would connect around the installation. However after looking around for thin wire, I choose to go with chicken wire to help me attach all these pieces from various angles and length.

Couldn't believe RONA was having a sale on garden wire!

One of the interesting parts of my project this year was the questions of why in my sketch book did my women look like they were screaming. I would say the inspiration came from De Schreeuw (The Scream) Memorial in Oosterpark (Amsterdam). 


Memorial/sculpture by Dutch sculptor Jeroen Henneman; Photo by User_talk:Gogh.

Something about this memorial both scares and intrigues me, the figures mouth slowly closing in to the point of speechlessness. The events that revolved around this memorial can be read here. On another tangent, the purpose of my installation is to create a moment where the viewer is subjected to this feeling of uneasiness. Creating a place where the viewer is engaged suddenly and spatially interrupted, is what I want them to experience. Using this sense of uneasiness, I want to create a mimicking feeling when these women were taken or murdered.

NEXT UPDATE: The Cutting and Assembling Saga!

No comments:

Post a Comment